Clean the Bay Your Way DIY Week
June 4 – 10, 2023
Clean the Bay Day - Saturday, June 3
Clean the Bay Your Way
Clean the Bay Day has been an annual Virginia tradition since its inception more than three decades ago. Year after year, thousands of Virginians work across the state to restore and protect the Chesapeake Bay by removing litter and debris from its rivers and streams. We are proud to announce that this year's Clean the Bay Day is June 3 from 9 a.m.-noon. Since we know not everyone is able to join us for the main event, we are again offering a DIY option—Clean the Bay Your Way—from June 4th through June 10th.
To participate in the traditional Clean the Bay Day event on Saturday, June 3 visit cbf.org/clean to find a location near you.
Step 1: Registration
There is no cost to participate in Clean the Bay Day but donations are always welcome.
There are two types of DIY registrations this year.
- Virtual Team Registration: Schools, families, companies, localities, individual groups, or communities are encouraged to create a virtual team to help clean up their portion of the Chesapeake Bay's watershed. Team litter cleanups cleanups can be conducted separately or together and litter pounds will be aggregated in the teams' dashboards.
- Individual Registration: Individuals are encouraged to register as a single participant.
Step 2: Clean the Bay Your Way and Logging Your Data
- Each registered participant will have their own link to the data collection form. Please do not share your link with anyone.
- The link to your data collection form is available from your Participant Center.
- Please submit your data by Monday June 12th and receive a Clean the Bay Day digital sticker.
- There are no assigned cleanup areas for DIY week, and you are not required to register for specific time slots.
- Participants have the flexibility to do a cleanup at any public location or private property where permission has been given.
- If you know of a site that is in need of a cleanup and you have permission to be on that property, are taking the proper safety precautions, and are disposing of the trash yourself, clean away!
- To participate in a partner managed cleanup at the traditional Clean the Bay Day event on Saturday, June 3 visit cbf.org/clean to find a location near you.
About Clean the Bay Day
Every day, each of us can do our part to make the Chesapeake even more beautiful by preventing and picking up litter. Clean the Bay Day—a long-standing Virginia tradition more than three decades in the making—inspires us to do just that. This annual event also introduces participants to some of the greater, unseen problems the Bay watershed faces such as degraded habitat and polluted runoff, including nitrogen and phosphorus pollution. Clean the Bay Day shows us that we all can be environmental stewards of our waters.
Partnership and Support
Clean the Bay Day is predicated on strong, lasting partnerships with municipalities, non-profits, the U.S. military, businesses, and corporate sponsors. We are grateful to our supporters and always welcome new partners and sponsors!
If you'd like more information about becoming a Clean the Bay Day partner, please email firstname.lastname@example.org.
We would like to send a special thank you to the below sponsors who are helping make the 2023 Clean the Bay Day possible.
For additional event information and resources, visit the below links:
Remember to Stay Safe
All participants should follow Virginia's guidelines for COVID-19 precautions.
Questions? Contact us at email@example.com.
Check out these highlights from the 2022 event.
Posted by Chesapeake Bay Foundation on Monday, June 6, 2022
Main Photo: U.S. Representative Rob Wittman and Chesapeake Bay Foundation Virginia Director Rebecca LePrell clean up trash along the James River in Richmond, Virginia as part of Clean the Bay Day 2016.
Photo Credit: Kenny Fletcher/CBF Staff